Evacuations ordered as fire blazes near Yosemite park
California fire authorities Sunday ordered the evacuation of regions to the west of Yosemite National Park as a wildfire spread uncontrolled, burning buildings and threatening some 2,000 homes. "Right now the fire is dictating to us what we can do," said emergency official Bill Hodson Sunday as fire fighters mobilized in the rugged forest and scrubland of the Sierra Nevada foothills in Mariposa county. According to the state fire bureau CalFire, the blaze has caused "significant structure loss," but details on the damage and the number of buildings affected could not be collected due to the intensity of the fire. The fire was burning north and northeast of Mariposa city, and was about 30 kilometers (20 miles) from the entrance to Yosemite, which is usually jammed with visitors on summer holidays at this time of year. No injuries had been reported by midday Sunday, as the fire grew to cover some 8,000 hectares (20,000 acres) in the area. While a number of campgrounds west of the park had been closed, roads going into Yosemite were still open, according to CalFire spokesman Daniel Berlant. Berlant told Fox News that 2,000 firefighters with 200 fire engines, 12 air tankers and 12 helicopters were battling the blaze. "Across the state in California it is extremely dry and these are conditions we really haven't seen in decades. Specifically, where this fire is burning we have not seen a fire burn in the past 100 years," Berlant said.

<< Home